LiveRoof® Barrett / LiveRoof® – Hybrid Modular Green Roof Systems
LiveRoof is a patented hybrid modular green roof
system proven on over 2000 projects worldwide
totaling over 5 million square feet. That success,
combined with Barrett Company’s eight decades
of waterproofing and two decades of green roof
experience, enables Barrett/LiveRoof assemblies
to be covered with up to a 25 year single source
LiveRoof’s Patented Hybrid Modular System
The LiveRoof System was developed to be a hybrid modular system combining the best features of the different types of vegetative roofing:
- Natural Function – The LiveRoof system’s hybrid design allows for the natural sharing of water, nutrients and beneficial organisms across the entire rooftop strata. It also minimizes hot, wet, and dry zones, and avoids compartmentalizing the growing medium into unnatural ‘grids’ as is the case with other modular systems. By not compartmentalizing the soil into ‘grids,’ LiveRoof functions as nature intended.
- Natural Beauty - The aesthetic advantages of LiveRoof are significant, and during spring, summer, fall or winter, LiveRoof® looks like a beautiful meadow. Depending upon design, other systems may look man-made, especially during the dormant season.
- LiveRoof is an Instant Green Roof - Each LiveRoof module arrives to the job site with fully grown plants inside the container and is simply set in place on the rooftop. The unique patent-pending Soil Elevators™ are then removed for a seamless fit. No need to start with a brown roof and farm it for years, waiting for it to become a green roof.
- Subterranean Module - Gives a meadow-like look with no ‘grid’ lines. It also protects the module itself from photodegradation. Available with four system depths (of 2.5″ to 8″)
- RoofTop Proven™ Plants - LiveRoof systems are locally grown under care of professional horticulturists, who select RoofTop Proven plant mixes suitable to each project. Many of the plants in the systems are exclusively breed, selected and developed for performance in the rigors of a rooftop environment.
- Wind-Tested and Proven - LiveRoof was the first system to undergo full-scale wind uplift testing and to receive a wind-uplift rating. The patented WindDisc system provides additional protection on wind-challenged applications such as the corners and perimeter of tall buildings and in coastal, hurricane-prone regions.
- RoofTop Proven™ Soil - The industry’s best engineered soil, expected to last indefinitely.
- Flexibility - LiveRoof modules can be custom cut to create natural looking green roofs with sweeping curves and full vegetation from parapet to parapet. Other modular systems offer considerably less flexibility around drains, at edges, and cannot be used on curved applications without creating large gaps.
- Scalable - The LiveRoof System is scalable to any size of project. The green roofs are just as good planted by the acre for warehouse-scale installation as it is for precisely-patterned boutique installations. LiveRoof licensed growers are enthusiastic about every project, big or small, simple or complex.
- No Air Gaps Between Modules - Uninterrupted continuum of soil eliminates air gaps for optimal R value, cooling value, and stormwater absorption.
- Proper Roof Top Drainage - LiveRoof keeps the roof dry with drain channels that disperse water at 7.0 gallons per minute per linear foot.
- Save on Maintenance Costs - With fully grown plants acting as a “living mulch,” LiveRoof dramatically cuts down the time and money traditionally required to maturate and maintain a green roof grown from plugs, tiles or cuttings. Most LiveRoof systems can be maintained in just a few minutes when attended to every two weeks during establishment.
Green roofs aren’t one size fits all. That’s why LiveRoof has experienced local representatives that can evaluate, recommend and grow vegetated roof systems and plants based on the specific site conditions of your green roof project. LiveRoof is locally sourced from 20 growing locations in the US and Canada. LiveRoof Licensed Growers are committed to sustainable production and to providing industry-best customer service.
Barrett offers two time-proven waterproofing systems to form the basis for moisture protection in LiveRoof assemblies, Ram Tough 250 and Black Pearl. Each waterproofing system utilizes a reinforced fluid-applied rubberized asphalt membrane.
The most critical element of any vegetated roof assembly is waterproofing. Without a long-lived watertight membrane, green roof benefits are undermined and these systems cannot realize their potential.
Barrett waterproofing systems are performance-proven beyond any reasonable doubt. Thus, specifiers and owners choose Barrett when compromise is unacceptable.
Learn more about LiveRoof®
Click on the appropriate link to download documents. (Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)
Accessory information from Barrett and outside vendors is available upon request. Listed below are some of the accessories available:
- Ram-Tough 400 PS/Flashing
- Concrete Curbing
- XPS Insulation
- Boardwalk Panels
- Pavers and Pedestals
LiveRoof is a registered trademark of LiveRoof, LLC.
NOTE : In order to view PDF documents, you must download Adobe's free copy of Acrobat Reader. Click here to download.